BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:38:59 -0400
This reminds me of the most remarkable "theme" McDonald's I have ever seen.  It was 1978 in the heart of Chicago, along the river at pedestrian level in a tower of some fairly recent vintage near the Wrigley Building.  The theme was outer space, and when you walked into the place, there was not a euclidean right angle to be found anywhere.  Every surface was organic and amorphous, formed of what I would characterize as gunnite in a neo-lunar gray of craggy texture.  Counters, tables, and stools oozed up from the floor; stalactites clung to the ceiling, walls had nary a straight line to them.  Lighting was bluish with ultraviolet accents, and planetary mobiles circled in the ether, glowing ethereally from the energized light sources.

Who says corporations can't think outside the box?

Dan Becker, Exec. Dir., RHDC
Raleigh Historic Districts Commission