BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Royal Order of Lacunae Pluggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:04:11 -0500
Ruth,
    I first heard that story when I was a kid.  It was told as a joke and
the point was that it made fun of the guy who kept saying "they don't make
anything like they used to".  Just like the fabled "good olde times".  We
have all read old and ancient accounts of people complaining about the
manners of children and the difficulty of finding good help.
    Now as for authenticity of the axe.  There is something special about
the connectedness of the item and the original hand that used it.  We can
assume at no time was the handle and the head replaced at the same time.  It
remained in constant use.  It has integrity as an old friend, but it is not
authentic in as much as its parts are not original.  Now if the same forger
made the head and the owner fashioned the ash handle from a local forrest...
the process is authentic:  the axe is authentically made.
    But why all the semantics?  Isn't it easy just to say:  "Hezzy has had
that axe for sixty five years.  He loves that thing cause it looks just like
the original one.  Course, nobody has the heart to tell him the Japanese
bought that company in Spiller's Falls."
Ruth, you country fellers ax alot of questions.  How much snow ya got up
there?
Best,
Leland