BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Royal Order of Lacunae Pluggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 00:32:02 -0800
Isn't
> it  rather unusual (or at least atypical) to have the wane edge, and isn't
> dendrochronlogy a tool one is unlikely to be able to use?
> Ralph

Dendrochronology was a blessing here in Keremeos, BC where my old flour mill
was commonly declared by "old timers" to be part of a Hudson's Bay Company
Trading Post that existed in the valley from 1863 to 1871.   The old timers
were all born well after the mill had closed, but old legends die hard; and
although there are still some that don't want to listen, the broad-axed and
whip-sawn logs had ample wane spots for the dendro-guy who aptly discovered
that the logs were cut in 1877, long after the HBC Post was abandoned.    In
fact, these logs were being cut down the same month as Custer according to a
contemporary historic newspaper story we later discovered in Victoria.

Here in BC, I understand that specific "datum trees" are identified in
regions around the province for ongoing reference by the dendo-guys.

Photos of the tree ring analysis make great display items in the historic
site's interpretation exhibits.

It is always refreshing to realize how young this part of the continent is.
We were still using pack horses and whip saws, long after Cornell was being
built and Edison was playing with Bebee lake.

cp in bc