BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The "listen to the silence" listserv ....
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:05:30 -0400
Ken writes:
>>Not fair to compare the mind-set of production masons
with those who tinker in histo presto or really fine work. Histo presto
masons usually get booted off production jobs because they think....
thinking
slows down the process of setting brick. Thinking causes a commotion and
delays production.
<<

Ken:
May I quote you on this? Early on I noticed this. Back in the 1970s as a
tradesperson I was alternately accused and praised for "working
delibrately." I now can see that part of the deliberation was thinking about
what I was doing. It was so true that I eventually adopted a policy of
telling clients  that work will slow down when I arrive, because I usually
have to get the tradespeople to think about what they are doing. We can
sometimes set an objective for the work to speed back up again, occasionally
to a higher rate than before, as a result of solutions, training, etc.

John