BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:01:56 -0100
Brian,

In this book I am reading it says of the Prussian military reform of the
19th c "these leaders and their men were also of a new model: thinking
soldiers who followed the spirit of command rather than its letter; who
were capable of of understanding the unfolding battle and responding."

On an ongoing project I was asked early on how we were going to do
something. My response was that I had no idea but that we were going to
buy a whole lot of stuff, enough stuff that we would be able to work it
out. So far we seem to be working it out. The end result was never
clearly defined, and could not be, and remains subjective. That
subjective perception is not in our direct control. And there is a whole
lot of social interference in the process. Having good people that can
think their way through changing site conditions and the evolving
clarification of end-goals helps. What does not help in the least is an
articifial drop dead date for completion. The difficulty I see is
managing everyone's expectations of each other and keeping up morale. It
is really hard for anyone to work in an indeterminate process. It seems
human nature to want to have an idea of where we are going, even if it
is not where we are going. It is that situation of feeling out of
control and wondering if a bear is going to jump out from behind the
next tree and eat us. The difficulty is when I say that we are going to
A when in fact I am not yet sure if we are going to A+E or B+D. Or if
the other 'commander' in a joint-venture says to their crew go to A and
the privates for both divisions interpret the communications as everyone
to go to A when in fact I know my crew needs to go to X or all hell will
break loose.

Then try to do this 'thinking' approach in an at-large world that does
not think very well, that goes by various formula and thresholds, and
effectively does the best it can to blot out what it does not comprehend
or understand.

I will often show up on a job with new tools. It is a balance between
wanting to not look too shabby on one hand and the fact that since we
are dispersed in little cells all over the countryside that half the
time I don't know where the tools are at or if we even still have them.
Much easier to go buy another new one than look for one. I had to
recently cut a hole in a stone wall for a security panel. I had to cut
the hole as the crew is tied up elsewhere. I could only find our dinky
chipping gun and our ancient Hilti drill. It worked fine enough up to
near the end. The configuration of the stone was such that there was
this big chunk that as much as I drilled and chipped it was taking me
forever and I was getting worn out. So I stopped. It took us a half hour
to locate our large chipping gun and two days to get it to the site. It
took a half hour for me to finish the hole, but add onto that 2 hours to
drive into the city and 2 hours to drive out... and deal with fear of
getting a parking ticket or having tools stolen out of the back of the
truck. This was a 'free' hole done as a courtesy to our client. I do not
mind doing a free hole now and then but I am adverse to negative math.

The free hole became demonstration art as curious ppl walking along on
the sidewalk kept stopping to watch me. The general contractor and the
crew on the project were in awe that anyone would come along and cut a
hole in the stone. It was good theater. The stone I am certain was set
with natural cement. The GC admitted that thay had been afraid of the
hole cutting for months... so as I am laboring along and their super is
standing behind me watching when a small chip outside the lines falls
out and I say loudly, "Oh, F!" Part of the treatment scheme of the
facade was to leave in the unmatching but relatively sound
non-structural cement patches as an element of the history. So whatever
outside the lines there is on the hole is nothing much to worry about.

][<en