BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 22:55:53 EST
In a message dated 97-12-29 10:19:05 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> My concern is reliability and redundancy.  Running a mailing list off a
>  single server leaves it open to malfunctions: if the server crashes, the
>  list crashes.  If the power goes off in Anthony's apartment, so goes the
>  server.  With a list hosted on an ISP, theoretically, one will have greater
>  reliability due to system redundancies that the ISP should have in place.

Will a USP help as far as the loss of power is concerned?

When I was looking around for a list host for BP I found several "for fee"
hosts that were reasonable in cost ($20.00 p/ month or less). Possibly, if we
ever get the URL problems worked out for APTI with the NPS server we can
negotiate with the NCPTT for a list server space. But I would not place too
much reliance on the NCPTT resource. For the cost involved it should be
possible to find a corporate sponsor, possibly directly with an ISP as a
public service, to sponsor Preservation-L. Moving the list subscription base
is technical maintenance issue, I understand.

][<en