BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:28:58 EDT
Tools... I like tools. We argue over it, but I have a room for the tools (a
big box) which holds the smaller tool boxes, usually, unless they wander,
which they often do. Quite some years back I bought a Sears mechanic's drawer
assembly and that has turned out to be a good piece of structure to attract
the tools to congregate around. Tools like to get loose, there are some in
the garage, some harboring themselves in the bus, and I am certain some of
them are laying in the yard.

I like the orange trays with the handles in the middle of them that you can
get at Home Depot. When doing a project I grab one and fill it up with tools.
WHen finished I carry it back to the tool room.

Boxes not only serve to store tools, fishing tackle, or model rocket parts...
but also there are boxes with only screws in them or bent nails or rocks,
depending. None of them are labeled, no need for it. A toolbox for software
(helps when you have to OS to have all the disks together), a toolbox for
computer tools. A bucket for spare change.

Books... too many and counting. I suppose I might get away with saying we
have a house to hold books in. Bookshelves, of course, but not enough of
them. Listening to a Homestead survivor of Hurricane Andrew talk about how
his house started moving around him in ways he never imagined it struck me
that we may not want to be in our house when a hurricane arrives. I bought
"What Went Wrong" and brought it home and set it down and after two months we
finally found it again. It was effective when I was searching through the
house, having a craving to read the book, and when asked what I was looking
for could reply, "What Went Wrong?"

Tools are also all the models of reality that we hold in our head and play
with each day. I also have writer tools... keeping track of boxes of commas
and semi-colons can be something of a chore.

][<en