BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:48:06 EST
In a message dated 11/17/2000 6:04:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I have a theory I would like to put forth:  I can remember that my
 grandmother's house used to have canvas awnings.  In the summer time she
 would open windows in the morning to allow cool air to circulate, then as the
 sun got hotter, the windows (on the  sunny side at least) were closed and the
 window awnings provided shade. This is the way awnings are supposed to work,
and they did work. I also remember that in the fall, the awnings
 were usually taken down to allow for optimum use of the sun's warming
powers. This is the way one was supposed to do things.
  The point is that someone was home during the day to open windows, adjust
 awnings, take awnings down Now you're getting to the Servant Problem and in
general have a reason to use them.  As
 American women began to be home less often during the day due to work, and
 children were home less often due to increased diversions (driving, the mall,
 soccer, etc.) could it be that the awning just became a redundant element of
 the modern home?  They were never an element of the modern home-- they are a
nearly-forgotten remnant of the Historic Home (and commercial establishment)
that went out (for all the reasons noted by all parties previously) and has
subsequently been made (almost) superfluous by fans and more recently by AC.
Nothing to do with cheap landlords, maintenance, style or  anything else;
they just simply are not needed because there is no one there
 to need them during the day. Stay home someday--or work out of the Home
Office during the summer and you'll see whether they're needed. Just a
thought.  Maybe telecommuting is the answer to awning revival...that and
servants to put up, adjust, maintain, and remove the awnings.

  BTW  I would like to thank Ken and Kathy Follet, Bryan Blundell, Rudy
 Christian, John Feugelso, and all of the presenters, volunteers, vendors,
 etc... who worked so hard to create and foster a forum that makes it possible
 for tradesman, architects, engineers and others to gather, discuss,  learn
 and party in a climate of mutual respect and understanding. Guess the snotty
types like me stayed home (didn't need awnings in Nov, so why leave home?
Sharpshooter had blown his wad getting his windows to leak more easily) For
those of you  who have never attended an IPTW...it is well worth the
investment of your  time, and since many (most?) of you are architects, the
money shouldn't be an  issue. (I couldn't help myself)  And what sheltered
world do you live in that has led you to conclude that we of the
architectural persuasion needn't concern ourselves with tawdry matters like
(ugh) money?

 Mark

Ralph