BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:53:01 -0500
Leland,

The run off from cedar appears to eat pin holes and bigger in copper
gutters.  I was frustrated for a long time by my inability to find an
authoritative text source.  All I had to go on was the word of the elders
of our profession...but when Jim Askins is one of them elders, its good
enough for me.

Meanwhile I ran into a fun little contemptory detail.  Cedar used on the
sloped underside of a canapy thing.  Copper clad columns holding the canopy
up.  The copper adjacent to the dedar ceiling, catching the run off, is
shiny and new looking.  Lower it has a nice developing patina.  Seems to me
that if I wanted to keep copper shiny I'd have to scrub it with something
mildly abrasive every few days.  I suggest that the cedar run off is doing
the same thing.

I would not use copper in flashings, valley flashings or gutters on a cedar
roof.  I do use it for ridge flashing.  In that condition it appears to
prevent the growth of mold on the shingles.  I believe I stole that one
from someone in NPS also...probably Askins...or one who was influenced by
him.

I'd like to read Baerman's article, can you tell me where to find it?

Don't be surprised when Revere, RCSSB or other suppliers and manufacturers
don't seem to know anything about incompatibilities.  Read the fine print.
Also, note what they are guaranteeing for performance.  Lots of wood
shingle roofs are not leaking that are covered...or partially covered with
completely rotted shingles.  That's what happens when you make the shingle
a reduntant system.  Building materials need to do work.  Kind of like us.

-jc