BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Walter Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Krugman doesn't know how to figure the tip on a restaurant bill." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:17:43 -0600
From: "Hammarberg, Eric"

A project where small 1" - 2" chips of light gray granite need to be
reattached to the parent stone panel (1 3/8" thick). A contractor has
recommended AKEMI AKEPOX 5010 epoxy. According to AKEMI this epoxy will not
yellow and weathers well. Has anybody worked with this?

In my experience the polyesters tend to yellow and crack, but set up
faster; I use them strictly for interior applications. The epoxies have
more flexibility (ergo less cracking) and seem to be more color stable, but
take much longer to set up.

I've been lurking for a week, and I'm considering sticking around. I was on
the old preservation-L list maybe 4 years ago, but had to drop it for
bandwidth reasons- couldn't keep up with the volume of e-mail and Ken's
writings kept confusing me. (I get a LOT of e-mail without listservs, can't
even keep up with the business inquiries).

Anyway, the listserv instruction say that I'm supposed to introduce myself.
I have a brief bio on my website at http://stonecarver.com/carvebio.html (I
haven't really updated that page in maybe 5 years but it still gives a good
overview). I usually avoid preservation projects anyway, I prefer new
projects that will keep the restorers busy three to six hundred years from
now. I work with limestone and marble, chisel work, mostly architectural
pieces.

Later,
Walter S. Arnold  * [log in to unmask]
Gallery:        http://www.stonecarver.com