BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
When I'm in bed I'm a tourist.
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:32:35 -0400
Last night around 8:15, the hubbie, younger son (14) and I were driving over
to Geneva to see if the rebuilt "Ponder-grossa" was an OK place to eat.  The
old one burnt down last year - something I thought suspicious since the
owner mentioned he had been thinking of remodelling.

Anywho, on the way, younger son asked me to turn on the radio.  On the way
home from work, I had had it tuned to the Syracuse/Oswego NPR station.
Weeknights from 8-12 they play old radio shows from the 30's - 50's.  So, of
course, young son groaned and asked "Why did people laugh at this stuff?
It's not funny."  We then had to go into a discourse (the only way to talk
to him sometimes) about how people then had less variety of entertainment,
and the mores were different and that silly stuff was considered funny.  My
husband said that there are things in younger son's generation that didn't
exist in hubbie's generation (to which I commented that they exist in my
generation, even though we're the same age, because it's still my
generation - those Brits don't always have sound logic).  Younger son still
thought the show was stupid, so he stopped listening and then we got into a
discussion about NYS DMV lerner's permit testing.  He wants to start
studying now for an exam he has to take in 2 years.  This is in direct
contrast to his 18 year old brother who may finally go for his lerner's
permit next week - that is, if mom has anything to say about it.

So, I'm really glad your daughter knows what swinging from a vine feels
like - I'm sure it's something younger son won't think is funny.

- Pam