BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:15:58 -0500
>An interesting follow-up to Betty Steckman's comments today about the
>department stores leaving downtown Trenton. Yet another posting talked about
>the apparently viable Main St. historic district in Hannibal, MO, closed as a
>pedestrian mall.
>
>Is there a difference in the results when a historic environment is a part of
>the marketing strategy, as opposed to just a "mall" atmosphere?  Trenton
>certainly has not capitalized on its historic commercial core.  Is creating a
>"themed" environment (i.e., authentic historic buildings) part of the reason
>for the success in some places? Would it work with another "theme" or
>otherwise unified streetscape in the same way?  (The Main St. folks should
>have some good insights into this one . . .)
>
>Mary Krugman

This I think is the critical point with many efforts to revitalize
downtowns.  You will see these large public investments in "streetscape"
improvement programs (new sidewalks, trees, street furniture et al.),
construction of pedestrian malls, etc., etc., but no concommitant or
coordinated public/private investments in the buildings that flank the
street.  Folks think if the street is nice, well, then, business will be
great, and that will stimulate private investment.  More often than not,
the buildings sit there and continue to decay.  A more holistic approach is
needed for success.  The Main Street program is one such approach.

The analogy I like to use is if you are redecorating a stale, unpleasant
room, you wouldn't just come in and put down carpet and expect the place to
look and feel good; you would also paint the walls for a complete makeover.
Yet many downtown programs only install new carpet, and neglect the walls.

Dan Becker,  Executive Director         "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                                   heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                                      -- Elbert Hubbard