BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:15:23 EST
In a message dated 98-01-27 10:30:54 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Places like south central
>  Indiana, or east central Alabama, or northern Nebraska. These places are
not
>  near any city or town whose name you are likely recognize. But the people
in
>  these places do recognize the cultural value of their built enviornment and
>  have difficulting finding tradespeople who have the knowledge and sensitive
>  touch needed.

My consideration is that however the organizing occurs that we keep reflecting
on the success/failures of the process and that we have a long-term strategy
of consolidating the experience into communicable means by which a Handbook of
sorts can be sent to the places John Leeke mentions above. We have the talent
of introspection between us, the ability to write and express our ideas, and
various relationships with publication media.

At a past meeting I attended in Chicago someone from the NPS publications
venue vehemently stated that making craftperson information available in
published form is a lost cause as the information is too volatile for print
media. Therefore the conclusion may have been that the need property owners
have to efficiently make contact with capable and honest craftspersons could
not be satisfied. I think a more apt conclusion is that the print media is
severely limited and that there are other media available.

What I envision is a network of local nodes, a global federation of
preservationeers. It could be like having Rennaissance Fairs. Come all ye
crafty parsons out to chop wood and bumpin stones on a fine day. Which reminds
me of the Annual Rock Throwing Contest that I used to sponsor when I was still
a long-haired fireplace mason in Ithaca, NY. Started one day we were in the
garden heaving boulders. I used to do that trick where you throw the boulder
up and bounce it off your bicep. Had to be slightly stewed to endure the
event. I think we ran for five years before I was deported to the Capital
city. Still have the official boulder around the house here somewhere.

An individual should be abe to go on the internet, possibly PL, and say they
are looking for a preservation experienced carpenter in their area (even an
architect or engineer), and someone who is able to make a reasonable
judegement of quality, be able to respond. If this is being done by the SHPOs,
then my comment is that the only one to respond with such a list is Texas, and
that only because of the vision of one individual keeping an independent list.

][<en Follett