From:
David Weigel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:45:48 -0500
Hello, Don:
	Your question brings back some memories for me.  When I restarted my
interest in ham radio some 22 years ago, I was living in a ground floor unit
of a 3 story condominium.  My elmer helped me create a "hybrid" G5RV, which
consisted of two 51 foot lengths of wire connected to a center insulator -
erected on the flat 3rd story roof of the condo building.  We ran coax
feedline from the center insulator over the roof of the building, down to
ground level to my transceiver in my condo bedroom.  The antenna worked
grreat (great sunspot cycle propagation helped, I suppose), and I worked the
world from southwest Florida.  I believe that the 34 foot ladder line that
goes with a conventional G5RV could provide adverse effects if it runs along
a rooftop, goes vertical next to a tall building wall, etc.  My suggestion
for the coax - 102 foot dipole configuration would be to add a 1 to 1
current balun at the center insulator, to reduce or eliminate rf along the
feedline.
	Presently, I reside at a different location, and am using an Alpha
Delta DXCC multiband dipole up about 40 feet.  It has two wire elements of
41 foot length apiece, covering 80, 40, and 15 meters.  It also has separate
wire elements for 10 and 20 meters.  My antenna requires an external tuner
for 75 -80 meters.  I added a 1 to 1 Radio Works current balun at the center
insulator for the coax feedline connection.  (The balun is not suggested by
the manufacturer, but I believe that it is a somewhat sound principle since
no lladder line is used with this antenna, and coax to dipole wire is an
"unbalanced" to "balanced" situation.)  I also have a ground rod connection
to the feedline coax outer shield just before the coax enters my home.
	The bottom line is that so many variations of this antenna theme
seem to work reasonably well, some, of course, better than others.
Sometimes a little adaption assists the conventional model, based upon local
environment.  And by the way, I'm sure that the DXCC is available from Alpha
Delta and through your favorite ham store.
	Good luck in your search for a starting point/commitment.  Should be
fun along the way.

					73 de Dave Weigel     KD4JEZ