From:
Patrick Tice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 18:27:27 -0500
The Handihams have never been responsible for code waivers. Waivers were
signed by physicians and honored by VE teams in the field, and simply
granted those who qualified (and probably more than a few who didn't) an
exemption from the 13 & 20 word per minute examinations. Everyone had to
pass at least a 5 wpm exam at some point, however.

The thinking back then was that to honor international treaty requirements,
at least some code proficiency was required and could not be waived. Now
with WRC-03 removing the treaty obligation, that argument for keeping even a
slow code examination is out the window. So it will simply be up to the FCC
if they want to retain it or not.

73,
Pat
Regards,