From:
Richard Fiorello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2010 14:56:14 -0400
Hello Christian and list;
I think we have gone down this road a year or so ago.  For little old me it kind of boiled down to the fact that I had a 2 meter 440 radio that I was perfectly happy withso when buying an hf radio I didn't need or want 2 meters included.  The ts480 apparently gives the operator more speech output which may be a mixed benefit for some.  I haven't compared the price of a ts2000 versus a ts480 and tmv71a.  Within $100 or so they are probably the same.  I just found it more to my liking to have two radios than one.  I would actually have considered things such as the ic746 or ic7000 primarily because I like icom but when it got right down to it using some of those radios was going to require more brain power than I cared to invest.
As a very very new user my biggest complaint regarding the ts480 is the type of plug's they used.  I don't particularly mind the antenna connectors.  I have used a number of kenwoods starting with the ts430 and it was basically unplug one radio and plug in the new toy.
Richard