From:
Steve Matzura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:48:42 -0400
Hi, Nora:

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:41:58 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi!  To reset the VX7 R to factory defaults and wipe out all memories, do
>the following:
>
>1.  Hold down the 4 key, the V/M key and the BAND key.
>On the lower part of the radio, the keypad is 5 keys wide by 3 keys high.
>The 4 key is the second key from the left in the middle row.  BAND is the
>top key in the right column.  The V/M key is the bottom key in the right
>column.
>
>Turn the radio on while holding down these three keys.
>
>2.  Wait a minute to make sure that it turns on. Hopefully, it will beep.
>Then press the MON/F key to finish the process.  This key is the left most
>key in the top row of the 3 x 5 keypad.
>
>Hope this helps.

It does.  Those were the identical instructions to the ones Steve sent
me earlier in the week.

>Also, I use that shareware program, VX7 commander to program my radio.  It
>is VERY finicky with serial to USB converters.  I have cables from a place
>called TTL2USB.com.  They work, but it still take a number of attempts to
>get it to work.

I've not tried with a USB cable, but that program and a cable I
purchased from HRO is what got me into trouble in the first place
<grin>.  I'm willing to give it another go, just needed to know how to
reset the darn thing first.  I also got another cable which I will
also try if this first one doesn't work out.

Do you happen to have a copy of the manual with the graphic button
symbols turned into text?  I sure would love to get that some way
somehow, and Vertex Standard has been shall we say less than helpful
in this regard.