From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 01:46:18 -0700
yep, get an all mode wide range receiver and listen to the ham bands.
sort of like a scanner but one that can hear the HF frequencies as well and
that can go on SSB so you can pickup the amateur traffic as well.
Icom makes a few, such as the R75, kenwood has one or two, such as the
R5000.
there are a couple software/hardware bassed wide range receivers such as the
products made by winradio, that are good.
the key here of course is to have a sufficient antenna to receive amateur
traffic on hf.  A top of the set antenna generally doesn't work too well for
HF listening...a 100 foot chunk of wire will usually suffice though for
receiving purposes.

it's not hard to find people with licenses willing to help and elmer a new
ham or someone interested in the hobby.
73
Colin, V A6BKX