From:
Bob Sikkila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:06:32 -0500
Mike, if you could find a used Sony 2010, I think you would like that one as well. It has been out of production for many years, but does show up on the used market occasionally. It is a lot larger than the 7600 and includes the air craft band from about 108 to 136 MHZ a.m. It has 32 memories on 4 rows of buttons and any frequency can be programmed into any button so you don't have to switch from a.m. to f.m. or the air craft band when you enter frequencies. You could keep an eye on ebay, but move fast because they don't stay on the market long. The cost might be a problem, usually around the $300 mark which is close to the new price back in the 1990s. It's pretty hard to beat the 7600GR these days in my opinion. The Sony 2001 preceeded the 2010 and has nicer audio output quality, but lacks the air craft band and has only a half dozen memories. The Sony 7700 is also a large model the size of the 2010, but I found it hard to program. It seemed like I had frequencies entered only to never be able to acces them again. You really need to be sighted to use that radio. I don't think it has the air craft band and it is no longer available new. Of course, there was a plain icf7600 before the 7600GR came out and it was identical, except for the number of memories. It is very nice and would be reasonable on the used market. Finally, Radio Shack sold the DX440 which is a decent portable with a.m., F.m. plus shortwave with a BFO. It is larger than the 7600, but is sometimes found in the used market. Good luck.

73
Bob K8MXC