From:
Eric Oyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2015 22:17:47 -0700
yep.
I have noticed a gradual, but definite trend in the dumbing down of the tests over the years. When I first took my test in 1992, there was a lot more math, a lot more regulation specific questions and some operational procedure questions. These days, taking a look at a sample test (as provided by several of the ham radio related sites) shows this disturbing fact. THis situation is mirroring the education system breakdown over that time. There is also the "feel good" attitude that seems to pervade many events (namely in sports). THe attitude that there are no losers is really a false narrative. THe fact is, we tend to learn best from our failures, when we are paying attention at any rate.

at any rate, there is going to be a time when a license test will not be required for the tech class (it will be like the bad old days when the 11 meter band was first converted over to class D service, and then eventually deregulated). I hope that day never comes.

-eric