From:
Kevin Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 22:59:20 -0400
Hi Blake.

The accessibility of the iPhone depends on how comfortable you are with
doing things differently.  It uses a touch screen, which, at the surface,
seems pretty daunting.  Apple, however, has implemented something called
VoiceOver right into the operating system, so you don't have to buy any
fancy screen reading software for it.  For a sighted user, all they do is
look at the screen, touch the spot that they want to activate, and the
iPhone does what the user wants.  VoiceOver does things a little
differently.  You can either move your finger on the screen over the thing
you want to activate, or you can do what is known as a left or right flick,
which is like flicking a bug off the screen of the iPhone, and it announces
the link you have focus on.  If you have your finger on the item, you can
tap another portion of the screen to activate it, or you can remove your
finger from the screen and do what is known as a double tap, which means you
quickly tap the screen twice.  You don't have to do this hard on the screen.
It is, after all, a touch screen.

I personally find the iPhone quite useable.  So far, I've mainly used it to
listen to major league games, as well as listen to music I've loaded onto
it.  I've tuned into internet stations, and they sound great, and what makes
it nice is you're not stuck in one spot to hear the audio from sites.  If
you have a 3G or EDGE connection, you're good to go.  It's a bit tricky to
enter text into the iPhone, but I'm slowly but surely mastering that, and I
also would appreciate the app that lets you input text using CW.

Oh yeah.  Did I mention that you can use the iPhone as a phone as well?
<grin>

Hope this all makes sense.  For $300 U.S., the iPhone, in my opinion, is a
nice piece of equipment.

Have a good day, and don't work too hard.

Kevin Minor, Lexington, KY