From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:30:18 -0500
I'm even more sorry that these intolerant attitudes are likely not
making our newcomers feel very welcome. Say, has anyone read the
Amateur's Code lately? I paste it below for your consideration. More
than using RF to do our communicating, I think we'd do well to
remember that it isn't the license class but the class of the amateur.
Unfortunately, some holders of amateur radio licenses are not acting
in any manner becoming of a ham. At least, not the ones that brought
me up in this wonderful hobby, the ones that treated a new 14-year-old
kid with the same respect they showed the 50-year ham veterans. Where
has that gone?

The Amateur's Code
The Radio Amateur is

CONSIDERATE...never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the
pleasure of others.

LOYAL...offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs,
local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which
Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and
internationally.

PROGRESSIVE...with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and
efficient station and operation above reproach.

FRIENDLY...slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice
and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and
consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of
the amateur spirit.

BALANCED...radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed
to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC...station and skill always ready for service to country and
community.

--The original Amateur's Code was written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in
1928.