From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:53:52 -0600
there are a tonne of instructions on how to make magnetic loop antennas on
the internet.  A simple google search will yield all kinds of stuff.
The thing about building it yourself is you have to have a large variable
capacitor.  Unless you want to make a loop for one frequency using a shorted
coaxial stub.
Copper tubing, plumming fittings and either rg58 coax, or a variable
capacitor are what you need.
A hax saw, drill and a soldering torch are also necesary...though some guys
forgo the soldering torch and use screws and clamps to join the sections of
the loop.
Like I said, there are many many different articles and textual instructions
online of how to build one of these and what materials and tools are
required.
I haven't built one yet because I'm not all that keen on having a single
frequency antenna for HF...because an air variable cap is rather expensive,
and if you have the antenna outside, you have to manually tune it each time
you change frequencies, or set up some kind of motor control.
I believe MFJ does sell a unit designed to work with magnetic loop antennas
which includes the capacitor which goes on the antenna itself, along with a
remote box with up and down controls to set the cap via a motor.
Not cheap though.
A square loop of 36 inches a side, will tune from 40 to 6 meters if you have
the proper cap.

73
Colin, V A6BKX