From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:42:43 -0500
Hi Tom.

I don't have experience with that specific model, but I did have a Standard
C528 dual band handheld, and it did have a transmit inhibit that was
enabled by holding down the Function key and pressing a "1" on the
keypad.  I don't know how much of their command set they borrowed from one
model to the next.  That probably isn't much help.  I think that Vertech
bought out Standard, so you might be able to get the answer from them.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 04:00 PM 3/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, folks:
>
>My son, who is also a ham, is having a problem with his Standard twin-bander
>VHF/UHF transceiver.  The model number is C5718DA.  He bought the rig used
>several years ago from a friend, and has no manual for the rig.  His problem
>is that it receives and transmits fine on 440, but only receives on the
>2-meter side.  If he programs a repeater into the 2-meter side, with
>correct, frequency, off-set, and PL tone, and tries to transmit, literally
>nothing happens.  I am wondering if somehow a "transmit inhibit" function
>got activated, or if he has some kind of transmit tone encoding function
>turned on that shouldn't be on.  I am not thinking that his finals are gone
>since he can transmit fine on 440, and since absolutely nothing happens when
>he transmits.  From past experience, I've found that, if the finals are
>gone, you can still transmit with very minimal output power.  I listened
>with my Kenwood HT when right next to him, and heard absolutely nothing when
>he transmitted.
>
>Sorry about the awkward nature of these questions, but I wonder if anyone
>can help.
>
>Is anyone familiar with this particular rig?
>
>Does anyone have a phone number for Standard, where he could call and maybe
>get some help.
>
>I am not familiar with the radio other than very basic functions, and since
>it doesn't seem very "user friendly" for folks like us, I'm not able to be
>terribly helpful at this point.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>I'll forward them onto him from here.
>
>Thanks, and best 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]