From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:16:31 -0500
Hi, again all.

My apologies:

I should have given more complete info in my last post.

First of all, the Tentec 238A is rated for up to 2000 watts, so I would
think  I'd be ok in that regard, since the most my Ameritron AL811H puts out
is about 600 watts.

Second, here's a more complete set of instructions about antenna
connections:

For balanced feedline systems, adding a
jumper from SINGLE WIRE to one of the
BALANCED LINE terminals as shown on the
rear panel is required. A tin-plated steel
jumper for this purpose has been provided.
It is attached to one wing nut connector on
the back; if balanced line will be used, attach
the other side of the jumper to the other
wing nut. Then connect the feedline to the
two BALANCED LINE terminals.
ANT position 4 can be coax, single wire, or
balanced line. ANT 1, ANT 2, ANT 3 must
be coax only.
Please note that 238C does NOT allow for
the connection of either coax-fed and
balanced line or single wire antennas to the
ANT 4 connection at the same time. There
is no switchable configuration for ANT 4 -
any antennas connected to these jacks will
be in use. If you have a coax fed antenna
and a balanced line or single wire antenna
connected to ANT 4 at the same time, both
of these antennas will be in use when ANT 4
is selected from the front panel."

In light of this new info, would I still be ok without the Balun Designs
balun, as far as anyone can tell?

On the negative side, would using just the tuner and the antenna without the
additional Balun Designs balun possibly lead to more stray RF in the shack?

73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ