From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:13:05 -0500
The TS-2000 gives you menu numbers and current setting, not a big deal to me
though I hardly go in the menu anyway. With the software you can tell what's
what, or you can make a quicklist of common menu items if you do make
changes a lot. The VS-3 is all you'll need with that, I have the DRU-3A in
mine too, the digital recorder board, but it's not needed. I like to have it
though. I have used the internal TNC, it's real basic and depending on what
you want to do, either just good enough or no good. For example, if you want
to do the packet cluster, it's good. APRS, it's good, Winlink, forget about
it. BBS's, it can do it but it can be a struggle because there's no RAM for
the TNC. I use it for the packet cluster and run a totally separate packet
setup for my packet work. I have tried it on winlink, and as I was warned,
it will lock up the TNC because it just can't do it. If you have a virtual
com port software, that will give it the buffering it needs, personally I'd
say it's not worth the trouble for that, it will do the packet cluster
though and the like. I use it for that. I'm very happy with the radio so
far, I've had it for over a year now and use it daily.