From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 12:22:11 -0700
we have a ford explorer.
I have a dual band antenna, half wave on 2, and 5/8's on 440 on the roof
with a magnet mount.
It's about 34 inches tall I think.
We don't park in a garage, so it's not a big deal.  That said, my fiancee
knows how to jump up on the back bumper and flop the antenna over if she's
going into a parking garage when I'm not with her.
It's an older vehicle, 2001, so I'm not overly concerned about the paint job
on the roof, not only that, no one can see any paint damage except truckers
as we go by lol.
The fender is one of the worst places to mount an antenna on any larger
vehicle...you get pretty significant directionality that way, and if your
driving away from the repeater or station you are talking to, the bulk of
the cab will tend to block the path to some extent.
However, if you need to mount it there for convenience, then sometimes that
is the only way.
So, I suggest a quarter wave on the roof on a magnet mount, or a half wave
or 5/8's wave on the fender.
You could also look at getting one of those motorized mounts that you can
attach to the luggage rack on the roof...this way, you or your wife can
simply press a rocker switch in the cab to fold the antenna over, or raise
it back up as needed.
These motorized mounts are actually fairly inexpensive, around 70 bucks I
think and are well rated for highway speed wind loading etc.
I'm not sure if they use an adapter to run DC up the coax to power the
motor, or if you have to run a power wire up to the motor along side the
coax for the antenna.
If this is an explorer, or escape, or expadition or any of those kinds of
SUV's, there are just a tonne of good antenna mounting places all around the
vehicle...including lip or edge mounting on the back hatch or luggage rack,
or even mounting longer antennas using the anchor screws for the rear tail
light assembly...all sorts of stuff.
Actually, if you google your make and model of vehicle, and add something
like antenna installation or something, you'll get hits on what others have
done with that particular vehicle.
If it's an explorer by chance, there is an excellent forum on the internet
of explorer users called explorerforum.com and there is a whole whack of
info on installing antennas for ham and CB on those trucks.

73
Colin, V A6BKX