From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:41:05 -0600
and yet there are still guys who will go on at great length about how
terrible HF is and to not even bother getting on the HF bands when they're
talking to new hams.
I figure it's been pretty decent these last few months on HF.
there is a small group of fairly newly licensed hams in this area who have
discovered multi-band mobile antennas such as the camelion, an 8FT long
mobile antenna that covers 80M through 2M using a 9 to 1 balun at the feed
point and no tuner required.  They go on and on about how band conditions
aren't so great and all this stuff...and I keep telling them that it's
because of the antennas they have chosen.  Yes, the 8ft camelion is a nice
looking antenna, and yes, you can make it work from time to time when
conditions are good.
They keep telling me that oh it must be a good antenna, because so and so
made a contact into california with one and talked to someone in japan.  I
keep reiterating that you can do that with a wet string and a pop can when
conditions are good.
none of these so called experts have tried things like a 20M inverted V or
flat top dipole at 30FT to compare to their little mobile sticks.
You can't even hear stations that would be coming in S9 on the dipole using
one of those dummy load type antennas.
anyway, the bands are definitely getting better.
73
Colin, V A6BKX