From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 14:31:49 -0500
Tom,

Didn't see any replies on the list to this one, and I'm not sure what
the N3FJP software does or doesn't do, so just in general:

You will need some sort of interface and it would be preferable to also
have a second sound card.   Since you are using a screen reader, you
don't want the screen reader speech going out with your canned messages.
   You can work around this to some extent by telling jaws not to speak
  certan keys.  If you tell it not to speak the f keys, you can hit f4
to play a message and not have jaws say "f4" as your canned message plays.

Some of the interfaces, like the  Signalink usb, include a built in
sound card.   If you go for an interface without a built in  sound card,
you can  always pick up an external add on usb sound card pretty cheap.

You have the option of putting audio into the radio either via the mic
connection, or the more preferred method of going into the din data
jack.   On the 480, it is next to the din where you plug your amp
keying/alc into.

Nice thing about the Signal link usb, is that it only uses a usb
connection to the pc.  All audio in and out of the pc, as well as power
for the unit is via the usb cable.

There are some other things to consider, but  this is just to get you
scratching your noggin.

73, Steve KW3A