Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:01:07 -0400
Kevin,

The antenna tuner in the radio is marginal.  It is intended for HF bands; it
will not match a wide range as the TS-870 type tuners did; you will need an
external tuner to match a wide range of impedences.  The tuner is no different
than what is found in other HF radios.

The speech in the 2000 does not announce power levels or SWR.  The speech
output in the Ts 480 does announce power levels and mike gain settings.
However, this isn't a problem in the TS-2000 as when you set power, it beeps
at the top and minimum positions, so once you know that if you want say 70 W
drive level, you go about eight klicks back from the max.

To speak SWR, you'd need a talking SWR meter or one that outpout in CW like
the P2000 did.  Neither the talking one by LGE I think the manufacturer was,
or the P2000 are manufactured any more, so you'd need to look for a used one.
Of course, another option is to hook a VCO across the meter.

You can control the rig with memory programming such as the MCP 2000 software
with a screen-reader.  There are some built-in pre-defined audio curves for
receiving and transmisission but I don't know if anybody has tried making one
on their own using a screen reader.
Steve, K8SP

The