From:
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2015 10:25:35 -0500
I sincerely apologize for possibly beating a dead horse... err I mean
beating a dead rig  to death... but as you all can imagine my excitement
over finally getting a couple of the local hams to come over yesterday
morning to help me get up an antenna and get on the air with this new
TS-590. You can also understand my extreme letdown and frustration when my
rig wouldn't work at all on transmit.

I sincerely appreciate all of your ideas and suggestion, and honestly, I
have tried everything any of you have suggested, and several things I tried
over and over. Throughout this whole ordeal, I assumed my TS-590 receiver
was working just fine, but now, I'm not so sure. Steve, hamsteve64, raised
the question about accidentally pressing the general communications receive
button at the lower left of the numeric pad. While I was certain that had
not happened, and even if it had, I was pretty certain doing a full reset
would eliminate that as being a persistent issue, I still checked this
possibility out just in case I had missed something. While this test didn't
resolve my transmit problem, it raised other questions. My receiver is
essentially dead until I tune into the ham bands; then, it kicks on. That
is, the background noise level comes way up and I can hear signals, but as
soon as I tune out of the ham bands the receiver goes dead. Oh, I can still
hear that it is on, but the background noise level drops way, way down and I
cannot hear anything. I think I was even tuning through the entire broadcast
band, 550 KHZ - 1600 KHZ, and I didn't hear anything. Obviously, if that is
the frequency range through which I was actually tuning, I certainly should
have heard several AM broadcast stations.

Is there anyone here who is a power user of the TS-590 that I can talk to
over the phone or over SKYPE, possibly today or tomorrow? It would be really
good if you could have your rig on while we were talking so I could hear how
your rig sounds and behaves compared to mine. If I end up sending this rig
back to R&L or one of Kenwood's service centers, I want to be able to fully
describe the scope of the problem.

TNX,
Ron, K8HSY