From:
Jim Gammon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 16:02:30 -0800
1. What is the receiver like?  Being clear out in ZL I think a good
receiver=
will be important. Think the last
Radio I had was a ts450 about 15 years ago.=20
Scott, it has to be better than what you had earlier.  I love the audio on
the 590 receiver.  I have sometimes felt like I was almost listening to two
meter FM when I was listening to a SSB signal on say 40 meters in the other
room from the radio where I didn't hear the background noise just the voice.
I think it's a great receiver.
2. What are  the DSP filters like.  I've never herd a DSP filter. I'm not a
b=
ig fan of to much noise reduction. The old radios I had made it sound
unnatu=
ral. I'm in a city of aprox 1Million and I don't know how much man maid
nois=
e I will have.=20
The only other rig I oned with DSP was the TS480 and I would say the 590 DSP
is a good deal better than the DSP on the 480.  Having said that, I still
prefer not using the DSP if possible.  There are times though, when it comes
in very handy.  The roofing filter that takes out interference on either
side of the frequency is also really great though it, of necessity, cuts
down on the audio band width.

3. Does it have a removable front panel?  There may be times I want to
liste=
n from a location other than my shack.=20
No, the rig is one unit like the TS2000.
I've only owned Kenwoods over the years but would listen to other
suggestion=
s.  Speech is nice but not a necessity. I prefer bright digits on a dark
bac=
kground but it appears the displays have gone away from that for the most
pa=
rt.=20

I'lll be running SSB and perhaps digital but mostly SSB.=20
I don't have any experience with digital but love the SSB on the 590.  It
will be interesting to see what others have to say about your questions.
73, Jim WA6EKS

73
Scott
ZL1CHM / N0HOJ