From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:27:53 -0500
Colin,

I guess it depends on where the noise is coming from.  If it's in the
receiver itself, you might be able to use a preamp to get the signal above
the noise floor, but if it's in the atmosphere, it's just another signal and
the preamp won't help.  I have a feeling that most preamps are included just
to make customers feel better by boosting S-meter readings.  I've seen cases
where they help, but like any other tool, you have to know when to use them.

Steve