From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 22:08:10 -0500
I don't own a TS590, but I'll talk about question 2 anyway.
Digital signal processing is used for many functions in modern receivers and
transmitters.  Not just noise reduction.  In the TS480, DSP was used for
filtering, notching and/or noise reduction on the demodulated audio signal.
In the 480 you needed to have a crystal filter at the intermediate
frequency; if you set the bandwidth narrower than that filter, strong
signals might still pump the AGC and desensitize the receiver.  I don't know
how they did this in the TS2000.
In the Yaesu transceivers since the FTDX9000, including the FT450 and the
FT950 that I use, you have a "roofing filter" after the first mixer, and you
do most of the filtering digitally at an IF of 30 KHz.  You can adjust the
receive bandwidth from 50 Hz on some radios on CW up to 4 KHz for SSB.
Since a DSP chip is doing the calculations, you don't have to pay for
several different crystal filters, as you would with a K3.  In addition to
noise reduction, noise blanking and filtering, DSP is used for AGC and for
generation of SSB and AM on transmit, as well as speech processing and audio
equalization.  You can run all these rigs with the noise reduction turned
off, or set the amount of noise reduction you want.
When I worked for Collins Radio from 1969 to 1971, I was in an engineering
group that did VHF receiver front end design.  Things have changed
drastically since that era.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com