From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 00:49:18 -0700
geoff:
20 meters isn't a day time only band as 80 is a night time only band.
You can get conditions 24 hours a day. The biggest reason we don't get much
activity here during the evening and night time hours is because there just
isn't very many hams on at that time of day that are in our listening area.
In other parts of the world, this isn't necesarily the case and the band can
be active at night with people actually talking.
For instance, in europe, they probably hear most of their dx from this side
of the world between 6PM and about 4 in the morning their time, because that
is when the bulk of US amateurs are on, and that is when things seem to work
the best into europe.  over here, we expect europe between 11 in the morning
and about 8 at night, not in the middle of the night.
same goes for other time zones around the world.
Its not by any means reversing or acting strange.
Now, if we were to start getting europe and asia only after dark and not at
all during the day, then i would have to wonder about 20M propigation.
Or if we began to get 5 by 9 signals on 80 meters during the day I would
have to begin to question all the electrical theories ever thought up.
73
Colin, V A6BKX