From:
Michael Thurman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:03:26 -0400
I guess none read my message asking a couple questions and giving suggestions. First, is it an 8 pin round connector?, since i am not familiar with yaesu models,  if so can you find out which pin is mic audio. Does it have a transmit monitor, or do you have a way to listen to transmitted audio?
If it is an 8 pin round connector, clip a test lead to the mic audio pin, or just touch the pin with a finger while the radio is in transmit mode. most radios have a transmit button by the mic connector. If you listen to the transmit audio you should hear a buzz when you torch the mic audio pin. if you hear that bus in your transmitted audio then the radio is fine. Replacing a microphone even if that does not solve the problem is an opportunity to get a much better microphone, such as a good desktop mic, and will be  easier and often cheaper than just shipping the radio. Don't forget you have to pay for packing materials, an dups shipping both ways, not to mention any reputable sop has a fee for opening up the radio on the bench, called a bench or shop fee. That could easily cost you $100 just to find out that is not the radio. Also, and I know this seems silly, but  double check your mic gain and processor settings, and try to listen to transmit audio in al modes  not just SSB.thanks
73 kb7nla