From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:26:16 -0000
Hi Tom,

OK, you've had several suggestions to check connections, and I would agree.
An old amateur once told me to check everything going into and out of a rig
first.  Not a bad idea, I guess, unless you smell smoke <big smile>.

Something similar to your scenario happened to me recently.  I had
attenuation on RX which would sometimes disappear following a short
transmission.  All ok for a bit, and then more attenuation and high SWR.  I
tracked it down to one of the inputs on the TW-1 SWR meter.  Wiggling
thePL-259 caused the signal strength to vary.

Once unplugged the cable was checked and proved to be fine.  We then took
the lid off the TW-1, looking for a dry joint, and again all was fine.

It was then spotted, under a bright light, there was some tarnishing in the
SO-239 socket itself.

When you push a PL-259 plug into a SO-239, the pin of the plug is gripped by
the sides of the socket, which are sprung apart by the pin.  If the
springiness of the socket is lost, or the pin of the plug is slightly too
thin, a poor connection is made.

I reckon there had been some arcing in my SO-239 causing the tarnishing.

In my case, we scratched through the tarnish, and used a plug with a
slightly wider pin to solved the problem.  I guess The socket might need
replacing if it returns <smile>.

With this in mind, a good check for anyone would be to unscrew the PL-259 on
a plug and test how well the pin is gripped by the SO-239.  If it is slack,
get it checked.  Also, apart from checking the plug is nice and tight, I
tend to leave connectors alone.  On the basis, lots of plugging and
unplugging may cause unnecessary wear and tear.

Out of interest, the other SO-239 on the TW-1 was bright and shiny, like
new.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals