From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:13:39 -0500
Steve Dresser writes:
> Where does one get calcium grease?

	I am trying to remember because it has been about 20
years since I bought some but it is also called phonograph oil
and is intended for the center spindle. I'd keep it off the
contacts, though.
	It is a moderately heavy grease that prevents seizing.

	I heard of a lady who coated the pole to her bird feeder
with some of it to keep squirrels from climbing up to eat the
contents of the feeder. I think it made it really slippery but
those squirrels kept munching the seed.

	I would imagine that any good machine supply place or
somebody who sells lots of tools, etc, would have some of it.
Calcium is the only ingredient I remember because I was kind of
surprised that it was used in lubricants.

	Another good grease if you can find it is Molicoat44. It
uses mollidinum disulphide. It is rather thick like Vasoline and
is also used to prevent seizing.

	When I worked as a repair technician for OSU's Audio
Visual Center back in the eighties, we used it a lot for
greasing levers and gears when they got sticky. It's really
messy, so watch out.

	Either of those would probably loosen up the detents on
that band switch but keep them out of the contacts. If memory
serves me, the ball bearing assembly at the rear of the band
switch is many inches away from the first contact waffer so
unless you apply the grease with an air-powered grease gun, you
should be fine. Actually, you want to just use a touch anyway.

Martin