From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 08:34:37 -0400
The one caveat about the Adobe and University of Wisconsin remote conversion
servers is that just as with converting using Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.05, if
the creator of the document has "locked" it against conversion, those
facilities won't work any better than anything else...they use the identical
software as the reader does and if the document has security protection,
they can't cope with it.

For the record, there's a very nice tool that will remove all protection
from a PDF document, allowing it to be saved as text in the event that the
document owner has secured it against such retention.  I've used this tool,
called Advanced PDF Password Recovery (APDFPR) for a couple of years and am
extremely impressed with it.  A slightly crippled demo (it can't handle PDF
files larger than 64K and the command-line interface is not available) and
full purchase information are available at:

http://www.elcomsoft.com/apdfpr.html

Bear in mind that depending on the format of the original, a text rendering
of a PDF document can be extremely difficult; sometimes even impossible; to
read.  For example, the manual for my Linksys router is so completely
scrambled; with paragraphs being scattered seemingly at random all over the
place; that it takes a lot of real concentration and mental gymnastics to
understand it.  I think that this is because the original was a two-column
document and when converted (and despite claims to the contrary), Adobe
simply doesn't do a very good job of rendering two-column items into a
single-column output.  This is one of the issues I was referring to in my
original message.  PDF is still a long, long way from being totally
satisfactory.  Another problem...some PDF documents are actually based on
scanned images and these are 100% inaccessible unless you first convert the
file, then use a scanner to convert _that_ output a second time.