From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:46:21 -0500
Frank,

I know of at least two blind people who have experimented with DMR and like
it, but that's because they have active DMR repeaters in their areas and
were able to get some help setting up the equipment.  Aside from the
difficulties with accessibility, there are other issues to consider.
Depending on the channel you pick, you may be tying up several repeaters
across the country, so you can't just casually pick a channel and start a
rag chew.  As has already been said, hams themselves have not yet settled on
the standard they want to use, so you could very well commit to one mode
only to find that in a year or two, you're the only kid on the block using
it.  Then again, amateur radio is all about experimentation, so if you feel
like taking the plunge, I say go for it.

Steve