From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:55:01 -0400
Ed,

You may know all this, but for what it's worth:

You can connect via either serial or usb.  If you want to do the usb
connection, you need to install the kenwood virtual comm port driver,
which you can find at the kenwood site.   If you go this route, you need
to find what comm port is assigned to the virtual comm port and be sure
that is selected in the firmware update  program.  Also baud rate  needs
to match what is set in the radio menu.

If going via serial port, you can disregard the virtual com driver, but
again comm port number  needs to be set correctly in the firmware update
program, and baud rate needs to  match what is set in the radio menu.
Also for serial, the cable needs to be straight through and not a "null
modem" cable, which has a pair of wires reversed.

Do you run any other software with the radio, such as  logging programs,
or the kenwood control program?   If so, whatever you use in the other
program should work with the update program, but be sure  to not    try
running 2 such programs on the same port at the same time.

If you haven't already done it, you should back up all your settings,
menus, and memories with the kenwood control software and reinstall them
after the update, since all will be lost  during the update process.

73, Steve KW3A