From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2015 11:04:14 -0400
  MFJ has  boxes in the hundred dollar range to either switch 2 mics to
1 radio, or 2 radios to 1 mic, depending on  which box you get.

The 1251 I mentioned in the other post is a microphone conversion box.
  You can input either an 8 pin modular, or 8 pin round mic.   Output is
a single modular jack.  The unit comes with 2 cables:  modular at both
ends, and modular at 1 end and 8 pin round at the other end.   So you
can input your mic of choice and output to  a radio with either modular
or round mic input, using one of the supplied cables.  Internal jumpers
need to be set to match the  radio and mic pin outs.

I had built my PF key box using an old MFJ TNC to radio switch box.
Just thinking that this mic conversion box could be the basis for a
similar home brew project.    You would still need to  break out the 2
pins needed from the jumper header.   I also don't know how large the
actual box is.    It  would need to be large enough to mount at least 4
and possibly 6  push buttons.   The 4   buttons would equal the 4 extra
pf keys, and the other 2 would be up/down, which can be remapped as pf
keys in 590 menus.

It would still be a project, but at least the mic in and out is  taken
care of.

73, Steve KW3A