From:
Terri Pannett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 16:30:19 -0800
They didn't hand out any cds but they did show some powerpoint slides.
Since I'm familiar with handling traffic, this was just a refresher for me.

I ended up taking the notetaker and things worked out well.

I have a SmallTalk Ultra, but I don't like taking it around because (1) the
battery doesn't last long (2) I have to bring the docking station so I can
connect my braille device with it (3) I'd have to turn speech off and use
braille only (4) braille is more seamless with a notetaker than a laptop (5)
laptops take too long to boot up.

A slate and stylus is out of the question.  For one thing, I could never
keep up with verbatim traffic.  For another, it's a nuisance to have to
remove the paper to read what I'd written.

I'm glad I decided not to take the brailler because we had to listen to a
tape recorder and take down the messages.  It was an analog machine with a
built-in mike and the recording wasn't the best.

I had to decide which notetaker to take: the BrailleNote or the BrailleWave.
It's a possibility that I might be able to use the latter in an emergency
because its batteries have a very long life.  I think it's because the Wave
is limited and uses a different means for keeping the data when it's turned
off.  Most of the time, I use it with my PC.  The Wave worked well at the
meeting.

One advantage the brailler has over a notetaker or computer is you can slap
your fingers down on the paper and find your place in a hurry and you can
write messages without needing to save and name them, (grin).  I haven't
figured out the best way to save and name written messages or whether it's
just best to put all of a days received messages in the same file.

Terri Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA.