From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 22:01:10 -0500
Howard,

Yeah, you really want a reliable way to read the current, and listening to
transformer hum just doesn't cut it.  A friend of mine owes me a Viking
Ranger 2, and if we ever figure out a way to get it up here from
Connecticut, I'll have it.  I listen to lots of AM on the 480, with the
receiver in the wide position, and with High Cut set to 5000 and Low Cut set
to 0.  I use an old 12-inch speaker that I've had for years, and it really
does sound quite good.  Maybe not "high fi" in the strictest sense, but much
better than the 480's internal speaker, and quite acceptable for AM.  I've
transmitted on AM with the 480 and run about 200 watts out by driving an
AL-811H with about 20 watts, but the 480's audio just doesn't cut it on AM,
even with equalization.  Oh well, maybe some day I'll get that Ranger.

Steve