From:
Dave Basden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2014 15:00:47 -0800
Hi Matthew,

I used the TS-480 until about a year ago and really liked it.  It is
very accessible and there is a lot of documentation in accessible
format.  I got it with the voice board and a 500 Hz filter.  I have
always  used an IF filter with my rigs and am pleased with the way
they enhance CW operation.  The TS-480 uses an audio filtering
system, which, in my opinion, is not as helpful as the IF
filtering.  I'm now using a TS-590, which doesn't require additional
filters.  There are several things I liked better about the TS-480
such as the external control head and the button arrangement.  The
fact that the RF gain doesn't have a separate knob bothered me at
first, but I almost never set the RF gain to anything but wide
open.  I thought the fact that the mike and key plug into the main
unit and not into the control head would be awkward, but it hasn't
been a problem.  Some don't like the separate control head, but I
like the fact that it freed up desk space.  I think you would come to
appreciate it as I did.

73,

Dave, W7OQ