From:
Ed Malmgren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:49:04 -0600
Thanks Steve.  73

ED K7UC
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Forst
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: a l c mod

Sorry about the  garbage  text.   Second time this has happened this
week, both times after doing a reply to a message.   Never happened
before setting up this new Verizon account on  Thunderbird.

Ed,

My Tokyo Hi Power solid state amp  would often go into protection with
the 590 before the ALC mod was done.   It was more of a problem on
SSB.   The work
around on CW was to keep carrier level  in the low 20's instead of the
default 50.   The work around on SSB was to run some minimal amount of
processing.

Even with the work arounds, it would still trip the protection, and
usually at the worst time.

Had the ALC mod done  in June of last year and  the few protection
faults I've seen  since then have been pilot error.

The improvement  was very noticeable.  Again, the spike was less of a
problem   on cw with the carrier  set lower.    Carrier set to the
lowest setting
that would still give full output power.

73, Steve KW3A