From:
"Alan R. Downing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2016 10:51:03 -0700
It has been several weeks since I updated the group on the progress we have
been making in Molino, Florida.  A lot of infrastructure projects had to be
completed so that the tower installations wouldn't be impeded.  By
infrastructure I mean projects like burying hard line, rotor cables, 120 and
240 volt lines, etc.  I think Stan had 7 trenches to dig, fill with cables,
and close up again.  It is incredible just how many feet of cable had to be
buried.  All together he buried approximately 3000 feet of cable of
different types.  In addition, a shed had to be built near the bottom of the
200 foot rotating tower that will hold the stack of 6 three element
SteppIrs.  The shed holds all of the control boards needed to operate the
SteppIr yagis.  Since the control boards require power, electricity had to
be run into the shed, and then on to the rotating base of the tower.  The
shed is finished, the control boards installed, and all necessary cables
have been run to it, and then on to the tower.  The rotating base is in and
operational.  We have hired a professional crew to build the tower, and
install the yagis on it.  Techs and engineers from SteppIr are coming down
to assemble and tune the yagis as well.  Preparations are also being made
for the second 200 foot rotating tower.  It won't actually go up for several
months yet, but yet another trench has to be dug and its cables buried.  In
addition, the shack is pretty much complete now.  There are 6 rigs, 6 amps,
and over a dozen control boxes mounted on the custom-built console.  There
are also 4 large computer monitors above the upper level of the console.
Things are really looking good.

A recent storm went thru and the high winds destroyed the Orion 2800 rotator
for the 3 element 80 meter yagi.  A prop pitch rotator is being assembled to
replace the Orion.  The Orion should have been able to handle the torque of
the antenna, but it didn't, Hi.  In case anyone is interested about the cost
of a prop pitch rotator, they go for about $4500 from K7NV's shop.

I'll report back again soon.

Alan - N7MIT

Alan R. Downing

Phoenix, AZ