From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2012 10:22:20 -0600
Linda and all,
Must be contagious.  My dog guide and I were hit Thursday evening on
our way home from the office.  Could have been oh so much worse.  I
have a sprained knee, strained muscles and ligaments and a very
impaired left leg.  I am using a knee immobilizer when I walk and a
cane to help bear the weight on the left leg.  Jenna, my Seeing Eye
friend seems okay.  She saw the vet and everything seems good but the
vet said often bruising takes several days to show and to keep tabs
on her.  As of just now she seems fine.
I was in the cross walk, with parallel traffic and all of a sudden
this a*****e took us down.  I believe he was stopped and started
while we were right in front of him.  Next I knew I was down on my
right elbow and a bumper was working up my left side.  Thank God he
stopped, and I think backed up.  Jenna was either on top of my left
leg or just in front of it under the bumper.  I'm a bit unclear about
that.  He got out of his car and I think helped me to my feet,
although I didn't have enough function in my left leg to really
walk.  He told me he was looking at traffic after I asked him what in
the **** he was thinking.  I was far from polite.  My first and
hopefully last ambulance ride - x-rays and no breaks but I'll be
messed up for a while.  Three witnesses said I was absolutely in the
right - he absolutely wasn't.  He received four citations, left the
site in handcuffs in the back of a squad, and his 2003 Ford was towed.
Wghen it happened I was so full of adrenalin that I couldn't think
properly.  Later when I mellowed out I was so veery thankful.  If he
hadnpt finally taken his thumb out of his butt and stopped, I very
well could have been on the silent key list.
Jenna seems fine.  I will work her as soon as I can walk well
enough.  The school suggested I have a little sighted assisstance
available when we work that crossing the next time or two in case she
gets uncomfortable with it.  She is a wonderful guide and I so hope
that her work and confidence won't be compromised.
Enough of all of this.  May all on the list have a wonderful holiday season.
Pat, K9JAU