From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:13:19 -0600
	This is true. Normally, when we have a Solar flare, the
conditions can be pretty bad as we are having the flare but they might
get better later or nothing much happens at all. It depends upon
the amount of X-rays and later the amount of protons and
geomagnetic disturbances we get.

	This time, we did get some X-rays but I think the
initial blast was on the other side of the world as China
reported it first. For all I know, they might have a 10-meter
opening because X-ray energy from the Sun appears to have a
drastic effect on the ionosphere but we haven't gotten anything
to write home about yet.

	I listened tonight, February 17, to 55.240 through
55.260 MHZ which is the video carrier frequency for TV Channel
2. There should still be carriers from Canada and Mexico and,
for that matter, Central America and the Caribbean but I didn't
hear a thing except for meteor pings and something that sounded
like a few-second burst of Sporadic E. Aurora sounds unique in
that CW sounds as if somebody is sending with steam or
compressed air. Instead of nice beautiful tones, all the
carriers sound hissy. Oklahoma is far enough South that aurora
is extremely rare but the one time I did hear it, I doubt that
one could have copied SSB there was so much buzz. This is one
time that CW is king.

	Let's all keep our ears open this weekend as it might
get interesting.

	During the last Solar peak in the early 2000's, One
could hear the FM repeaters at the high end of ten and, if your
receiver will tune higher, you can hear commercial two-way
systems between 30 and usually about 35 MHZ. If you can hear
that sort of thing up to 45 or 50 MHZ, then six is probably
open. In some parts of South America, six meters starts around
48 or 49 MHZ. You shouldn't try to transmit there, but you may
hear Spanish amateur radio chatter on repeaters. If you hear
that, we are having 6-meter F2.

73
WB5AGZ