From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 04:37:35 -0500
Satellite radio is exactly like cable TV. That is, somebody starts up a
programming production operation and then tries to sell it to Sirius or XM.
They (well, XM, anyway) also take purely commercial offerings--XM carries
WLW out of Cincinnati, NASCAR's Motor Racing Network, and a ton of other
stuff that you can also find on local commercial stations. The saving grace,
of course, is that they also produce a lot of their own music shows like the
fifties channel, bluegrass channel, etc. However, since neither XM nor
Sirius is making a nickel in profit, the commercial boys aren't exactly
going to get rich by syndicating through them. I think, though, that if/when
satellite radio ever does become truly profitable, they'll do more and more
of their own program production and will depend less on commercial
sources--this seems to have been the way it worked with cable television.